What is Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?
In recent years, we are seeing more women being diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) as understanding of the condition has increased amongst the healthcare community.
This hormonal disorder causes the ovaries to produce an abnormal amount of androgens, such as testosterone. This can lead to a range of serious health problems for women such as diabetes, fertility concerns, problems with the heart and blood vessels, and an increased risk of uterine cancer.
In addition to these issues, PCOS can also result in several added physical symptoms such as hair loss, which only compounds the distress felt by affected women.
The relationship between PCOS and hair loss
The main culprit causing hair loss is the excessive production of androgens. This hormonal imbalance can trigger a condition called androgenetic alopecia, otherwise known as female pattern hair loss.
This hair loss condition is typically identified by thinning hair on the crown and a widened parting. Additionally, PCOS can disrupt the normal hair growth cycle, leading to increased shedding and reduced hair regrowth.
Best treatment for PCOS-induced hair loss
Hair loss stemming from PCOS can be a complex condition. Addressing the underlying hormonal imbalance and its impact on hair follicles is crucial in developing effective treatment strategies. By utilising a combination of oral medications, topical treatments, laser therapy and nutritional support, women with PCOS-induced hair loss can experience significant improvements in hair regrowth and overall hair health.
– Prescription Medication: Androgen blockers, can help reduce the effects of androgens on hair follicles, to restrict hair loss and promote regrowth in dormant hair follicles.
– Topical Treatments: Some topical solutions are also suitable for treating female pattern hair loss by stimulating hair regrowth to improve the overall thickness and density of hair.
– Laser Therapy: Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) increases the blood flow to the hair follicles, creating a healthy environment for hair growth. While this won’t treat the underlying hormonal imbalance, it can be very effective when used in combination with other PCOS hair loss treatments.
– Nutritional Support: Like laser therapy, a well-balanced diet and proper nutrition can support recovery from PCOS hair loss when used in combination with other treatments. A hair loss specialist like those at Ashley & Martin can help identify any nutritional deficiencies and make recommendations for appropriate supplements.
Treatments to avoid for PCOS-induced hair loss
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to hair loss, so while it’s good to note those treatments which have shown promise, we should also recognise those that are less effective treating PCOS hair loss.
– Hair Transplant: This surgical procedure involves transplanting hair follicles from one area of the scalp to another. While this can be a good solution for hair loss caused by traction alopecia, trauma, or accidents, it is a costly and highly invasive procedure that does not address the underlying hormonal imbalances associated with PCOS hair loss.
– Over-the-Counter Products: Many budget hair loss products claim to treat hair loss, but their effectiveness is often limited and fail to produce significant regrowth.
The power of multi-factored hair loss treatments
At Ashley & Martin, we specialise in complete care treatments that combine the most advanced medical solutions for the best hair regrowth results.
These treatments are monitored to ensure you’re responding positively and optimised throughout your hair regrowth journey.
It’s common for there to be multiple different underlying genetic and environmental conditions that are contributing to your hair loss in addition to PCOS. So, a multi-factored treatment typically yields the best results addressing all these issues to promote hair regrowth, and improve the overall health and quality of your hair.
Getting help from a trichologist or hair loss specialist
While PCOS can’t currently be cured, there are options to manage the symptoms. And when it comes to managing hair loss symptoms, no one knows more than the specialists at Ashley & Martin. Once you book an appointment, our hair loss specialists will be able to assess the specifics of your condition, to develop a personalised treatment plan to revive, restore and regrow your hair.
The earlier you get treatment, the better the results you can expect, so don’t put off getting help to take control of your hair loss.